A hot beverage to bring you warmth and comfort in the morning without caffeine!
A lot of people have adrenal fatigue. It’s when your adrenals are just like, “Hey, I don’t really feel like doing anything today” and then you’re left feeling the same way. When I found out I have adrenal fatigue too (symptoms and low cortisol levels), I knew I couldn’t keep drinking coffee. Coffee = caffeine = cortisol depletion = adrenal fatigue = no good.
I was never one to sip coffee all day long, but I do enjoy something warm and comforting in the mornings. When I gave up coffee I experimented to come up with something I would equally enjoy and came up with this! The best thing about this is there is no caffeine so you can drink it any time of day without jitters! (And without depleting your cortisol!)
One of my favorite things about having a cup of this in the morning is the cacao. Cacao is believed by many to be the highest source of magnesium! Magnesium is so important for so many body functions. I know if I don’t get enough magnesium my muscles start cramping up. And that’s no fun. You could also use cocoa powder, but cocoa is the roasted version of cacao which means it is depleted of essential nutrients. So while it will taste just as good, you won’t get all the nutritional benefits that raw cacao has to offer!
I enjoyed this cup on the porch in the morning with my feline friend, Winston.
- nut milk (I used my own almond milk)
- ~ 2 T cacao powder
- 1 tea bag of rooibos tea (I use Choice Organics)
- sweetener of choice, to taste (optional, I use a little maple syrup)
- Grab your mug that you will be drinking from. Fill it about 3/4 full of water and the last 1/4 of nut milk. Pour into a pan and place on the stove over medium-low heat.
- Add in cacao powder. I usually add in 2 heaping spoonfuls for a large mug (yay magnesium!).
- Add in sweetener at this point if you are using sweetener.
- Stir until hot. Remove from heat. At this point, you have yourself a nice hot cacao drink, but I like to take it a step further. Pour into your mug and add rooibos tea bag. Let steep for abut 4-6 minutes. Enjoy!